BEIRUT, LEBANON (2:40 P.M.) – In an exclusive report by CNN, a U.S. official alleged that Iran is moving its short-range ballistic missiles to the Persian Gulf waters.
The U.S. official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the reason for the U.S.’ recent decision to send an aircraft carrier group to the Persian Gulf was due to Iran’s alleged missile transfer.
The official alleged that Iran was preparing to launch an attack against the U.S. in the region, which is why the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln was deployed to the Persian Gulf waters.
Earlier in the week, U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said these reports were “troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” but did not explain what they were.
Bolton said the deployment of this aircraft carrier group was a “clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on the United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force.”
Acting U.S. Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan told reporters at the Pentagon on Tuesday that he had approved the expedited movement of the Lincoln strike group and the deployment of a bomber group based on “credible reporting” on Iran.
“What you see is us getting in the right posture for that dynamic environment” in Iraq and elsewhere in the region, Shanahan said.