Geneva, SANA – UN Special Envoy on Syria Staffan de Mistura said that the talks which began in Geneva on Tuesday regarding the situation in Syria are consultations, not peace talks, and that a delegation from the Syrian government was invited to them along with 40 Syrian sides and 20 international sides.

In a press conference held in Geneva on Tuesday, de Mistura stressed the need to exert all possible efforts to resolve the crisis in Syria, adding that the results of the meetings will be evaluated by the end of June.

He noted that the situation on the ground hasn’t changed since Geneva 1, but new sides like ISIS have entered the conflict.

Regarding his plan to freeze fighting in Aleppo and the humanitarian situation in it, the envoy said that the plan didn’t succeed so far because the circumstances weren’t suitable, but this issue is still on the table.

De Mistura said that the consultations held in Moscow and Cairo were beneficial to efforts towards reaching a political process, and that discussions must be held with all Syrian and international sides with the involvement of civil society organizations.

He also stressed that these Geneva meetings don’t constitute a conference or Geneva 3, have no beginning, middle, and end, and it’s not expected to produce any major final announcements. However, these meetings constitute close talks with all relevant sides to discuss the crisis in Syria, see what may lie in the future, and look for ideas regarding the future, all of which should lay the groundwork for a solution.

ALSO READ  Russian operation in Syria four years on: key facts

De Mistura asserted that this effort is serious and diligent and that it will produce achievements occasionally, adding that more invitations may be sent to other sides to join the talks in order to engage as many sides and listen to as many opinions and viewpoints as possible.

The consultations in question began on Tuesday, with de Mistura holding separate talks with different sides at the UN headquarters in Geneva away from media coverage, with only the UN media team given permission to take a few pictures and capture footage. The preliminary stage of the consultations is expected to last for five to six weeks.

Hazem Sabbagh

Advertisements
Share this article:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Notice: All comments represent the view of the commenter and not necessarily the views of AMN.

All comments that are not spam or wholly inappropriate are approved, we do not sort out opinions or points of view that are different from ours.

This is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat this discussion with the same respect you would a public park. We, too, are a shared community resource — a place to share skills, knowledge and interests through ongoing conversation.

These are not hard and fast rules, merely guidelines to aid the human judgment of our community and keep this a clean and well-lighted place for civilized public discourse.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

  • Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.